Role of the Conservation Subcommittee
- encourage the conservation and preservation of Western Australian native plants on public lands including roadsides and Crown lands, and on private lands;
- support efforts to strengthen laws and regulations for the conservation of Western Australian flora and encourage enforcement of laws and regulations;
- consider all relevant matters regarding the conservation of Western Australia’s native flora and, at its discretion, take relevant action in accordance with the Society’s Objective (a);
- consider and deal with matters brought to its attention by the Management Committee;
- make submissions on behalf of the Society to government and other relevant organisations; and
- prepare media statements and other communications on topical issues.
This work includes dealing with the many conservation issues that come up in urban planning, roadside development and work, mining and pastoral activity – to name a few.
Until recent times the Society also had a very active Roadside Vegetation Sub-Committee and this work has now been rolled into the work of the Conservation sub-committee. Since its early beginnings in the late 1950s the Society has had a keen interest in preserving the native vegetation along Western Australia’s roadsides and in earlier times had some success with its hard work. In recent times, as many of us have noticed, our roadsides are receiving significant clearing such that the dismay felt by members, WA communities and interstate/overseas visitors has been made clear to the Society. One recent initiative of roadside work and continued involvement of the Society is the Wildflower Friendliness Rating Scheme.
Submissions made by the Society have included:
- the Department of Environmental and Water Regulation’s Compliance and Enforcement policy
- The Roe Highway Extension
- Strategic assessment for Perth and Peel regions
And more recently:
- Submission on CPS 9221/1 Marbellup
- Appeal against CPS 8357/1 Shire of Victoria Plains
- Submission on CPS 9231/1 Burnside, Nornalup
- Submission on the City of Kalamunda Biodiversity Strategy
- Submission on CPS 9215/1 Red Morrel Pty Ltd
- EPA review recommendation for MRWA Tonkin Hwy/Hale Rd project
- EPA review recommendation for West Angeles project
- Appeal against CPS 1918/7 Western Power
- Appeal against CPS 9197/1 WA Limestone, Nowergup
- Appeal against CPS 4442/6 Pilbara Iron Company
- Appeal against CPS 8992/1 Frances Sammut
- Appeal against CPS 9134/1 Nigel Lea Rowe
- EPA review recommendation for Roy Hill Iron Ore Mine Revised Proposal
- EPA review recommendation for Northern Goldfields Interconnect Pipeline
- Appeal against CPS 8987/1 Telstra Corp Ltd
- Information for and Comment on the Draft Kalgulup Management Plan
- Asian Renewable Energy Hub
- Feedback regarding the Discussion Paper Modernising the Environmental Protection Act.
- The federal government’s review of the EPBC Act
- Cervantes-01 Conventional Well Drilling Proposal
- Atlas sand mining
- Manuwarra Red Dog Highway – Stage 4
- CPS 8953/1 BHP-Billiton
- Romanesque Seismic Survey
- Southern Link Road
You can Have your Say by checking the links shown here.